Our history is largely the story of courageous and independent pioneers, strong in faith and the base of where the community of Kingsville was built.
The Church of the Epiphany (1852) originally was a log hut erected in a forest clearing. An actual church was planned in 1852 and hewed from oak timbers nearby. The original church was named St John's. It contained box-type pews, wood burning stoves, kerosene lamps and the choir stalls and gallery were in the back of the church.
This picture of a school teacher on a donkey held by Rev Horton's son, was taken in front of the original St John's Church.
June, 1891 the cornerstone was laid by former Rector, Rev J W Ashman whose son is buried in front of the south wall of the church. On All Saints Day, Nov 1, 1891, Bishop Baldwin dedicated the church and the name of the Parish was changed from St. John's to Epiphany, to commemorate the day the sod was turned. Construction took 6 years to complete.
The church has progressed much since that time. In 1903 the small one-manual hand pumped organ was removed and a two-manual organ pumped by water power was installed at a cost of $1,550. In 1949 a more up-to-date organ was installed and dedicated to those who fell in both World Wars. The current 1889 church originally had the Kingsville cenotaph which was donated after WWII to the RCL on Division S.
Our pipe organ was entirely rebuilt and a new console installed in the church which includes a midi system in 2012.
We have a stone font, stained glass windows where 5 are depicting the Christian life.
Buried in our cemetery behind the church are many notable figures from Kingsville's' history, including the King family. Colonel King is not only the namesake for our community but also the first Warden of our parish. The tombstones in the cemetery mark the years from 1851.
At the northern edge of Epiphany's cemetery stands a magnificent black oak tree. In 1982 it was estimated to be at least 200 years old. In that year, this oak tree was placed on the honour roll of trees in the Province of Ontario, as the largest black oak in the province. The provincial assessment used various criteria including height, trunk circumference five feet above the ground, and the extent of the branches.
In 2002 we added a new heating and air conditioning system to our church. A plaque in our front garden was placed by the Masons to commemorate their 100th anniversary.
2003 major renovations to our chancel area brought our rail
and kneelers to the entrance of the chancel.
Summer 2012 the murals were repainted and repaired along with the entire interior of the church.
2012 The Organ was Rebuilt by Pole and Kingham with a Midi system for $65,000. It's inaugural recital was performed by Angus Sinclair Sept 23rd to a crowd of 222 people.
Spring 2017 the entire church and hall was refitted with LED lighting to not only brighten our space but to help us to conserve energy. Motion sensors to turn lights off and on were also a new feature.
THE RECTORY was SOLD August 2005. Our Rector now owns a house here in Kingsville. A special Vestry voted in favour of selling the 124 year old building.
the incumbency of Canon Matthew (1884-1891) the present brick rectory and stable
(now a garage) were completed at a cost of $3,525.00. The home still has 5
bedrooms, hardwood floors, but of course has running water (!) with 2 bathrooms
and a U shaped kitchen.The large decks are a joy to sit on to watch the bird life in the
mature trees. The home was sold to a private owner in the Summer of
2005 when a pool and new bathroom were installed. 2013 the house was up for resale again and sold in the spring of 2014.